I have thrown myself into recovery since my last bet and I absolutely love it, it has been a complete lifestyle change. Here are some of the things that have worked for me:
- Weekly in person Gamblers Anonymous meeting
- Multiple Zoom meetings a week
- Working the Steps
- Being a Sponsor
- Writing this blog
- Attending the GamCare chatroom, posting on the GamCare forum
- Posting on the Reddit Problem Gambling Sub
- Listening to podcasts about addiction and recovery
- Sharing my story on All In Addicted Gamblers Podcast and Podcast Recovery
- Learning about Stoicism
- Working through the SMART Recovery Handbook
- Working towards a Diploma on Counselling Skills - Level 2
What I am hoping to provide here is a first hand account of what recovery looks like for me and if somebody out there can relate to it then that is an added bonus. I get so much from writing about my recovery, from wondering if I wished I never gambled to writing about how patience is a character defect I really struggle with.
I also plan to do shorter more digestible blogs for those who are time limited while still writing longer form blogs like the three part blog about my ego.
Follow me on Twitter at @recoveryruss87 where you can keep up to date with new content.